About LAC

According to the earliest known histories of our area, the land on which the Lake Arrowhead community sits was once part of the favored hunting grounds of the Lenni Lenape Indians. Settlers to the area described these Native Americans as congenial, hardworking people who were very accepting of the settlers. Unfortunately, the Lenape had completely vanished from the Denville area by 1750. They did, however, leave evidence of their culture behind in the form of small flint arrowheads. These small artifacts are what inspired the naming of our community.

Through the 1800s, this area had a number of different owners. Finally, in 1925 the Arthur D. Crane Co. purchased 100 acres, including a small lake called Protectory Pond, from the Sisters of the Sorrowful Mother of St. Francis Health Resort. Combining this land purchase with two smaller ones, the Crane Co. began development of a lake community which would lie within the borders of both Mountain Lakes and Denville.
In the fall of 1925 a dam was constructed and Protectory Pond was flooded using its own natural springs. This newly formed body of water was to be called Arrowhead Lake. Aided by their natural springs, two small swamps were later transformed into two additional lakes named the Bay of Deep Waters and Great Bay. These three bodies of water cover approximately 34 acres and lie, on average, 525 feet above sea level.

Arthur Crane's plan was to build a summer community of privately owned houses. Many of these second homes were owned by people who spent most of the year living in Brooklyn and Jersey City. After the stock market crash of 1929, some of these people found it impossible to continue maintaining two residences. Soon the beautiful lakes and pleasant surroundings encouraged more and more people to make Lake Arrowhead their year round home.

By 1927, the Lake Arrowhead Club, Inc. was organized and incorporated. During those early years, the Board of Trustees devoted the majority of its time to negotiations with the developers in the interest of the whole community. Today, we still reap the benefits of this original Board's hard work.